Skip to main content

After my divorcee is finalized and I didn't ask for alimony can I file a modifcations?

Denton, TX |

I signed my final divorce decree May 7th and my husband is making over 100,000 a year and I had to pay child support and I didn't ask for alimony. Can I file something before my 30 days is up?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You definitely need to talk to a TX attorney about this as soon as possible. I do not know anything about TX law in that regard but In Virginia you must request alimony or a reservation of the right to receive alimony in your complaint or answer and and have the support award or right to support preserved in the final decree. If you did not make the proper requests at the pleading stage and there is no reservation for future support in the final decree then in VA it would be too late under most circumstances. If the omission was due to fraud or undue influence then you might be able to make a case for reopening the divorce.

The information provided is intended as a public service. It is presented for general informational purposes only and is NOT and shall not be considered “legal advice” for any purpose or under any circumstances. The fact that information is being provided shall not be construed as a providing legal advice or as establishing legal representation or an attorney-client relationship between any person or entity and an attorney for the law firm of Phillips, Morrison, Johnson & Ferrell. An attorney-client relationship with any attorney for the law firm Phillips, Morrison, Johnson & Ferrell may only be established by a formal retainer agreement and acknowledgement of representation in a writing signed by the retained attorney. As such, please be advised that no information or communications you share online or send to us is confidential or protected by the attorney-client relationship. There is no warranty or guarantee of the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of information contained herein or at other sites linked to any information contained herein or otherwise provided. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific facts and circumstances of your case and information cannot substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. If you need or want legal advice, please consult a lawyer who is licensed to practice law in your area. I am a licensed Virginia attorney and I do not seek or solicit clients outside the state of Virginia. In no case should online readers rely or act upon the information or materials provided without seeking professional counsel.


If the Court has already entered the divorce decree you can only the terms of the decree by agreement. WIthin the 30 days the court will still have the power to make changes. After the 30 days have expired, you will have to file a motion to modify the decree.


As Mr. Moore pointed out (and no differences in Texas law will save you on this), there's probably going to be a basic problem here that if you didn't ask for it up front, you can't get it now. If it's any consolation, a lot fewer spouses qualify for "alimony" (we don't call it that here, and it doesn't work like it does in other states) than is commonly thought, so you may not have lost out on anything, after all. There are a lot of restrictions as to whether you can get any post-judgment support at all, and typically even if you do, it's intended to be a temporary measure (you don't get it forever and once you can support yourself reasonably well, it's gone). But go ahead and consult a local attorney immediately to see if anything can still be done--good luck.