Skip to main content

After marrying someone that is a citizen of another country what steps need to be taken to become a citizen thru immigration?

Fort Washington, MD |

I have been dating my fiance off and on for 7 years now. She is a citizen of Sweden and comes to the country 3-4 times a year or I go there.. We want to get married in November and plan on her to stay permanently after she gets here. Once we are married what are the steps we need to take for her to become a permanent resident/US Citizen. The 7 years of back and forth has run its course and we want to make this last trip her final destination. HELP!!!!!! I am not familiar with immigration rules

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If her intention is to enter the U.S. to marry you and remain here permanently after the marriage, you should apply for a fiancé visa for her. She should not enter the U.S. under the visa waiver program as it can lead to a finding that she materially musrepresented herself at the time of entry. The fiancé visa allows her to enter the U.S. with the specific intent of marrying you and seeking permanent residence. I would encourage you to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration to go over the process in more detail.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


To become a citizen, one must first become a legal permanent resident. The steps needed to become a permanent resident depend on your status, where the marriage takes place, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


To be able to run one must learn how to walk first. In the same vein, one must first apply for and acquire lawful permanent residence first and apply for citizenship thru "fast track" spouse of USC category within 2 years and 9 months after having acquired a green card. The steps to be taken will depend upon your status at the time of marriage and the place of marriage, etc.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


First you must be a US citizen in order to file for your spouse. It is best to consult an attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.