Skip to main content

After marrying in Denmark, would I need to list my Danish spouse on my tax papers even though she still lives in Denmark?

Oakland, CA |

US citizen getting married to a Dane in Denmark later this year.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

This type of question needs to be posed to a CPA or a tax lawyer. Not here.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


This is a tax question, not an immigration question.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Exactly why income tax and tax return are also tagged.


Generally, you cannot file as married filing jointly since your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the tax year. However, she can choose to be treated as a U.S. resident and file a joint return with you. See