Skip to main content

After I file complaint, how long do I have to serve the defendant?

Allentown, PA |
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If your action is in PA, 30 days if defendant is in PA, otherwise 90 days.



Attention: This e-mail originates from the law firm of CARTER PEK, P.C. ("The Firm"). All information appearing herein is protected and regarded as confidential, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) indicated above. Be advised that if the reader of this message is not in fact the intended recipient, notice is hereby given that any dissemination, distribution and/or copying of this message is strictly prohibited and punishable by law. If you have received this message in error, kindly reply to sender forthwith, and destroy and purge any and all copies of such message, whether in paper, digital or other media format. If you are not an existing client of The Firm, do not construe anything in this message to cause you to become a client of The Firm, unless it contains a specific statement to that effect, and refrain from disclosing any sensitive information in which you have an expectation of privacy and/or confidence if sending a reply. contains a specific statement to that effect, and be careful not to disclose any sensitive information in reply that you expect to hold in confidence. If you are the intended recipient hereof and are a client, co-counsel or retained expert of The Firm, be mindful to maintain its contents in strict confidence in order to preserve any and all privileges, including the attorney-client and/or work product privileges that may apply. Thank you. IRC 230 Disclosure: In accordance with Internal Revenue Code 230, The Firm hereby advises you that, unless otherwise expressly stated, any reference made to or discussion of a federal tax issue contained in this message, or in any attachment(s) hereto, are neither intended nor permitted to be used for purposes of avoiding federal tax penalties.


If the lawsuit is filed in federal court, you would have 120 days.


Each State is different, and you have already gotten an answer for PA. The "I" part, is my question. Every County and court is different. Some have a sheriff's department serve, others have a list of special process servers approved by the court, so you may want to clarify whether you personally were planning to serve when you said "I." Also, in some jurisdictions, just by filing a complaint service is not automatically done, so check with the clerk where you file to make sure it was done properly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer