Skip to main content

After granted a green card can Aslyee go back to home country to visit very ill family member?

Seattle, WA |
Attorney answers 3


It is never a wise idea if you are the principal applicant, because CIS could move to terminate your asylee status. Speak with an attorney before going.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Mr. Maina is right. If you have been granted asylum it is because you have told the U.S. government that you fear returning to your home country; it goes against that if you travel there by your own choice. Absolutely talk to an attorney before you return.

Please do not rely on this general information without consulting an attorney. There may be facts about your situation that would be very important to how an attorney would advise you to proceed. An attorney would need to talk with you in detail before giving you specific advice.


This is not a good idea.

The whole concept of asylum is that you are afraid that you would be persecuted if you went back home.

Wait until you are a US citizen before attempting travel into that 'dangerous' place.


PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.