Skip to main content

After getting married with my boyfriend can I start the paperwork to fix him papers?

Kennewick, WA |

Can I start the paperwork right away after being married or do I have to wait some time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


What do you mean by fix his papers? If he is here illegally, getting married to him will not solve that problem.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


I agree with counsel. I suggest you consult a local immigration attorney. Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


This sounds like you need a post-nuptial agreement. See my AVVO Legal Guides for an explanation of the legal issues raised by your question. To find my Legal Guides, go to my AVVO home page by clicking on my photo; scroll down to "Contributions" and then click "Legal Guides." You will get a list of the 29 Legal Guides I have published on AVVO. Scroll down this list and select the topics that are relevant to your question.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


As an immigration lawyer, I can tell you there is no time that you need to wait before beginning the process to petition for him. The trick is that there are more issues to evaluate than only how long you've been married. Whether he originally entered lawfully, whether he's had any arrest by the police anywhere, whether he has any prior immigration history, whether he was caught trying to enter, whether he was included in a petition filed prior to April 30, 2001 that would allow him to ajdust in the U.S. if he entered illegally, whether either of you was married before or filed a petition before. I recommend you get a full evlauation by an experienced immigration attorney prior to starting anything. You don't want to make a mistake and end up with problems. However, to get back to the original question, you do not need to wait.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.