Skip to main content

After getting a free unnecessary beat down from cops and arrested for spouse making alleged false dv which later was dismissed

Columbia, SC |

I've developed a severe phobia with high anxiety when I see any cops now. With that in mind I have been scared to death to go file papers for a divorce in family court. In regards to the best interests of my children I need legal help that I just can not afford, due to the fact of spouse having me basically forced to agree on matters in court (order of protection) after that arrest, while looking down at the barrow of a gun with hands tied. legal aid, pro bono refused to help, nor can I afford any more consults that the bar has giving me. I'm stressed and so scared to go along that it isn't funny. any advice?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sorry for your troubles. Maybe you should start looking for some free counseling. Then look for local attorneys that accept payments.

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

James Regan

James Regan


Mentor Crisis Stabilization 3200 Devine St Columbia, SC (803) 256-5039 South Carolina Victim Assistance Network (SCVAN) Address: 1900 Broad River Rd. Columbia, SC 29210 Maps and Directions Phone: 888-852-1900 Toll Free: 803-750-1200


As for hiring an attorney, open the phone book and start calling attorneys. See if someone will take your case pro bono, or accept extended payment plans. If no attorney's will help you, you will want to go to the website for the clerk of courts, there should be some self help information that can get you started. However you are likely going to have to visit the courthouse to file the papers.

You must be very careful what information you post on a website like or any other public access website. Anything you say here is not privileged and can be used against you in any court proceeding. For a free consultation contact me at 954-620-8300 or email at .


Call the SC Bar and see if there are any pro bono legal organizations that may be willing to help you.

ATTORNEY ADVERTISING DISCLAIMER. The information herein is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any specific fact or circumstance. Your receipt of such information does not create an attorney-client relationship with the J. Brooks Davis Law Firm. You should not act or rely on any of the information contained herein without seeking professional legal advice.


A divorce is one of the most stressful events that any adult can experience. If you have not done so, you should seek out a therapist or counselor to help you through the process. In addition to addressing the divorce itself, you can address the DV allegations, coping with stress, parenting, and anxiety related to your arrest. Doing so may put you in a better position to make important decisions about the divorce, limit the impact of the divorce on the children, and help you move forward.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer