After being suspended for a week from work, during that same week, I get a text message stating that she was fired.

Wilkes Barre, PA |

This is taking place in a club. i work as a bartender, an one of the other bartenders was talking crap about me. So when it can time to go to work i was her relief for that night. I told her to keep her mouth shut an stop telling lies about me. it was a little loud yes. i have been having problems with this person for sometime now. anyways, I get this text message from another employee stating that i have a vacation for 1 week. Not even a week goes by an i get another text from the same person stating you have been fired. I was not even asked my side of the story, or ask what happen that day, It was nothing anyone else has or have done in the past. I guess i am asking , It is right that they DIDN'T ask me for my side of the story, an can they due a double punishment for the same thing ?

It sounds like employees are telling you certain information, Are they owners or supervisors? I would not rely on the representation of employees about your status. Assuming you were indeed suspended or fired, this is within the rights of an employer if you do not have contractual portection and were hired as an "at will" employee. You may seek unemployment, however, if they punished you for something other people do and do not suffer the same penalty,

The other person involved as been warned about not her day to day duties at least 5 times in a months period. I myself have not been written up or verbally warn about nothing. i feel as tho i was a target or a treat to the only male bartender , who is the bar manger , who i trained at the time of his hiring, i feel that he feels threatened by me an he has been doing everything to get me in trouble or what not. Just confused.... I feel i did nothing wrong, an a victim to ones damise . This male person an the head house committee chairman are so buddy buddy it makes me wonder if this was not a setup.

Pennsylvania is an at will state in which you can be terminated for a good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all. You cannot be terminated in violation of "Public Policy" which our courts interpret to mean statutes enacted by the U.S. Congress or the Pennsylvania Legislature. When you are terminated because of your "protected classification" (i.e. age, sex, race, national origin, disability, and in some localities gender affinity) it's called "employment discrimination," not wrongful discharge.

In this case, you got into an altercation with a co-worker. Typically, in my experience, altercations between coworkers, regardless of who is right and who is wrong, result in one or both coworkers being fired. It's that simple. The issue of who is telling lies about whom is simply not the employer's problem. If you want to keep your job, steer clear of disputes with coworkers --- period.

Remember, you cannot get legal advice over the internet any more than you should take medical advice from a doctor who has not examined you. This site is designed to point you in the right direction. You have to do the rest. Our dialogue does not create an attorney-client relationship.