Skip to main content

After being served my divorce papers and the time limit is gone. can i still contest my divorce?

Dahlonega, GA |

my court date is this monday

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


While it is too late to file an answer prior to your divorce hearing, you can still contest / object to the requests contained within the complaint for divorce. You would do so by appearing in court.

Though you've pushed it to the last minute, you should consider meeting with a Family Law attorney in your area today to ensure you are prepared for presenting your case on Monday.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Anthony M. Zezima

Anthony M. Zezima


You may file a Answer and Counterclaim at any time prior to a Final Decree.


Yes, and you need a lawyer badly! Retain one today and make sure you and he appear at your court date.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Under Georgia law, there is no default in a divorce case. Therefore, you may file a Answer and Counterclaim at any time prior to a Final Decree. You need to retain an experienced divorce attorney immediately (today if possible) in order to preserve your rights.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.