Skip to main content

After being denied a claim what do I do to prove that I hit something with my boat that caused sever damage to the bottom.

Laurie, MO |

While driving my boat I hit something in the water. Seconds later the boat just stopped. i thought I damaged the lower unit only to find, after putting it on the lift, found major fibrerglass damage. The adjuster denied the claim, contending that the boat had experienced delamination. Prior to looking at the boat he made the statement "____ boats are notorious for". Then he stopped, said he would reserve that until he looked at it. He then inspected my boat, hired a marine expert, and called to say the claim is denied due to delamination, improper positioning on the lift and that it is old damage. I had work done on it less than two years ago and the same adjuster looked at it, paid the claim (due to storm damage). The repair shop saw no signs of delamination. The engineer claims old damag

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You will probably need to hire your own expert to establish your case. You proably will also need to hire an attorney. Good luck.

The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Alan Sanders Richard

Alan Sanders Richard


I agree that you will need an attorney. If this accident occurred on a navigable river or stream (one that by itself or in combination with other rivers/stream connects to another state), you will need an Admiralty attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer