Skip to main content

After asylum approval can I marry a non us citizen and apply for reunion?

New York, NY |

I got approve for asylum few months ago, currently im planning to marry a girl from my original country but she is living outside our country.
My question is, if we get married can I apply for reunion? She lives outside the states.. An form I-730 won't apply to my case as far as I know because the marriage existed after the asylum got approved.. Please any advice

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You should apply for your green card when you are eligible (one year after your asylum grant). Then you can file for a green card for her, but it will likely take a couple of years. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


You're right that she won't qualify for the I-730 since you weren't married at the time you got asylum. You can marry her now if you'd like, but you'll have to wait until you get your green card before you can petition for her. After you petition for her, it will take a few years before a visa is available for her to come to the U.S.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


I agree with my colleagues

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman


But also to add, you state that the girl is from your home country - just keep in mind that you cannot go back to the country from which you received asylum and therefore you may need to marry in a different country


I agree with my colleagues. However, I would strongly suggest that you use an immigration lawyer. There is much more to our profession than filling out forms. There is a lot of analysis that occurs behind the scenes. Get a lawyer and do it right the first time. Repeating anything in the world of immigration is on a time scale of months or years. As a result, it can easily cost you more time and money to obtain an immigration benefit on your own than if you use an attorney. Plus, keep in mind that there are significant “opportunity costs” as well. (A good example is where someone has to re-submit a work permit application and wait a few additional months before working).

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


There is no visa you can file for your fiance until you become a permanent resident. There is about a two year wait for the visa, which you can file at that time.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.