After an I-601 approval of waiver of a 10 year ban, what kind of visa will I get to enter the US, and is there some kind of

Seattle, WA |

rule that I need to remain in the states for a certain amount of time thereafter in order to maintain the visa?

Best Answer

If your waiver is approved, and if the US Consulate approves your visa application, then you will get whatever type of visa you applied for.

If you applied for an immigrant visa, then that is what you will get. You will need to enter the United States within 6 months. After you enter the United States, you will receive your green card in the mail.

In order to maintain your permanent resident status, you need to spend a majority of your time living in the United States. Also, any trips you take outside the USA should be less than 6 months long.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I meant to ask is if I will need to fill out an I-130 or and IR1 or CR1 or I-485, after the I-160 approval?

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Your additional question is causing confusion ... My understanding is that you are outside the USA. Did you have an interview at a US Consulate? Did they tell you to submit an I-601? Did you submit the I-601? Was the I-601 approved? If your answer to all of these is "Yes," then your next step is to receive a visa and enter the USA.

The answer to all of them is no. i am thinking about going through with the whole process, I'm just trying to gather information first. Do I need to have an interview with a US consulate before applying for the I-601?

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Are you currently in the USA or outside the USA?

outside the USA

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Then yes, you will need to have your interview at a US Consulate regarding your visa application before applying for the I-601 Application for a Waiver.

Ok, thank you so much, you have been very helpful.

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

You are most welcome.

after the I-601 is approved, you get an immigrant visa (which ever type), you enter with it and your green card arrives by mail

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

You will receive an immigrant visa and upon return to the U.S. you will be admitted as a permanent resident. Your green card will be mailed to you. Once a permanent resident, you will need to make sure that you don't take any one trip that lasts 6 or more months, but also, try to spend at least 1/2 of your time in the U.S., especially if you are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen down the road.