After a car accident taken on commission, my attorney now wants me to take out a loan to pay him. Has anyone heard of this?

Lafayette, LA |

After a car accident 3/2/2012 my doctor ordered unaffordable MRI + therapy. My insurance said no, the med fees doubled, lab x-rays refused to go from point A to B. I HAD to hire a lawyer, yet I've never met him or his legal assistant. The helpful legal assistant whom I met left. After 8 months of silence I received an open-ended bank loan packet requesting 15 signatures for $1,500 "today" and more in the future. The cover letter simply reads: "Additional expenses in your file must be financed at this time. Please sign [ASAP]." The March contract reads "if there is no recovery, then Client does not owe attorney for any case EXPENSES or ATTORNEY FEE” unless the attorney is discharged.” I only want med bills paid. With atty change I'll go broke. Can't start over. Ideas? Help!

I would request a face to face meeting with your lawyer to explain the status of your case and the strange documents that your received. If he or she will not me with you, or if the explanation is not satisfactory, I would consult another attorney about your case. I would not hire any attorney who will not meet with you one on one and explain things so you can understand.

Thank you so kindly. I really appreciate your help.

Why in the world would you hire a lawyer you never met?
I'd request a face to face meeting with him as soon as possible for explanation of charges and why your medical expenses need to be financed through a bank.

I would not accept[t speaking to any assistant, only your lawyer.

This Reply which is intended to be helpful to the Avvo Community, does not constitute legal advice and does not create any attorney-client relationship. You are urged to seek the advice of an attorney as soon as possible to protect whatever rights you may have.

The first legal secretary explained that the whole law team was in New Orleans for the BP Oil Spill. However, I'll only heed your advice about a fact to fact if there is a next time. I really appreciate your interest and efforts in helping me

Gregory J Miller

Gregory J Miller

Sure thing. Let us know how it goes.

Sounds like you should find a real lawyer close to your home. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

It is probably time to meet your attorney and if they are unable to instill complete confidence in you, move right to consulting with another attorney experienced in personal injury matters.

Thank you so very kindly for taking the time to help me.

You should request a face to face meeting with your attorney for explanations, if you are still unhappy with him afterwards, you might want to hire another lawyer.

I thank you kindly for helping me this morning. I will certainly take your advice.

I have to agree; you should never hire lawyer you've never spoken to and obviously know nothing about.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue!

This is odd. Sit down and gt an explanation from your attorney at once. period. If you dont like the answer sit down with another attorney and discuss ASAP.

I truly appreciate your advice!

I'll take a different approach than others here-talk to a local a local attorney that does PI work. If the accident wasn't your fault, you're entitled to more than the medical bills.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

I'm grateful for you taking the time to answer my question and providing advice. Thanks!

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

You're welcome

Why pay lawyer's fees to a lawyer you have never met?

I have never heard of this. Before signing the paper work it may be a good idea to consult with another personal injury lawyer in your area.