Skip to main content

Affidavit of Support co sponsor . Can this co sponsor be a relative of my fiancé , the US citizen ?

Seattle, WA |

We are filing a 1 - visa and we need a co sponsor for the Affidavit of Support . My fiance his parents want to be the co - sponsor . Is that allowed since they are relatives ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes, relatives are permitted as long as they have legal status. Make sure to consult with a local immigration attorney who can explain the ramifications of being a co-sponsor.


Yes. I am sure.


Yes. A join sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the U.S., or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant. There may be no more than 2 joint sponsors. You should consult and retain an immigration lawyer rather than go this alone.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Yes, no issue with that as long as the relative has sufficient funds and is a green card holder or a US citizen.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Yes, as long as they live in the U.S. and are US citizens or lawful permanent resident aliens.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


If they are a U.S. citizen or permananet resident at least 18 years of age domiciled in the U.S., and meet the income requirements independently, then, yes.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer