Skip to main content

Advise on L1B extension denial

Houston, TX |

Hi, A friend of mine is in US since three years on L1B. Recently for L1B extension she got an RFE and finally the L1B extension was denied(reasons are yet to be received). Can she individually approach an attorney and apply a motion to reconsider appeal instead of her company attorney doing the same?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


L-1s are controlled by the employer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


No. L-1B's are employer petitions and can only be addressed by the employer. No one else.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


She should talk with her employer's immigration attorney about the denial and any next steps.


I agree with the prior answer. It would have to be the company that applies. However, she can still go to an attorney and seek advise. There may be other options.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Michael Campise, Ferro and Cuccia (212) 966-7775



is there any option to convert to another visa and stay back. Her husband is on H1, can a conversion be done to H4 based on that while being in the US? What could be the other possible options?


I suggest she take the denial notice to another attorney for a second opinion. In my experience, if the 2nd attorney recommends a course of action, the employer will most times agree to filing a Motion to Reopen/Reconsider.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.