Skip to main content

Adding Medical Bill after Bankruptcy has been Discharged?

Chicago, IL |

I filed for bankruptcy in November of 2009, which was discharged in March 2010. I incurred a medical bill in January of 2010, which the bankruptcy was still in process and not discharged yet. I totally overlooked this bill and forgot to discuss with my attorney if I can add or not. Can I add this medical bill to this bankruptcy as the bankruptcy was not discharged during that time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If the service was provided after you filed your petition, it is your responsibility and cannot be discharged. For the most part, only debts existing at the time of the filing are dischargeable.


The general rule, applicable in your situation, is that debts in place in November 2009 when you filed are subject to discharge in your bankruptcy process

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.


Any debt incurred before the filing date is discharged. You incurred the debt after the filing date. Therefore, you are liable for it.


That is a post-Petition debt, meaning you incurred it AFTER filing, so you are liable for it.

Very truly yours,

Dean D. Paolucci, Attorney at Law
Select Legal, PC
53 West Jackson Blvd., suite 709
Chicago, IL 60604
P> 800-825-7010

Disclaimer: This e-mail or other correspondence does NOT create an attorney client relationship. This e-mail or other correspondence represents a general overview of law developments and should not be relied upon without an independent, professional analysis of how any of these provisions may apply to a specific legal situation. Any information contained in this communication was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer