Skip to main content

Adding a name to a house title

Gurnee, IL |

How to add a second name to a house title for which the partners are not related or married and for which there is no mortgage

no I want to add my son and daughter's mane to house we currently live in and we have a mortgage on. House is in Texas. The add their names to another house we own, without a mortgage

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This would be done by the current titleholder executing a deed in favor of him/her self and the other partner as either tenants in common or joint tenants with rights of survivorship. These are the two forms of joint ownership available to unmarried persons. The legal effect of a tenancy in common is that each of the owners owns a half interest. If one owner dies, that person's half interest passes to that person's heirs or the beneficiaries named in his/her will. The legal effect of a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship is that if one of the owners dies, the decedent's share automatically passes to the surviving owner.

You should contact a local real estate attorney to prepare the deed - it would probably be inexpensive. While it seems like a simple document and people often try to do them themselves or with the assistance of commercial legal forms and computer programs, it is very easy to do it inccorectly, and if incorrect, it is possible for it to be null and void, and therefore not to accomplish the objective for which it was intended.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer