Skip to main content

Acknowledging your the father vs. biological father.

Centennial, CO |

Its horrible to think but I have been paying child support for about 6 years now and really been putting things together that my kids might not be biologically mine. Can I get a paternity test this late to determine if they are mine or not? I have always thought of them as mine but I am over flooded with so many questions and I would feel devastated if they are not mine but why would i have to go threw the horrible headach and pain that is caused all these years with courts and problems with the mother if they are not even my children. Is it to late to ask for a paternity test if I only NOW started to think they were not mine?? If i go get the test on my own and they are not mine but the courts will not acknowledge it, then I would rather not know.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will likely be considered the psychological parent of the child now after 6 years. You can ask for biological paternity testing. However, a judge may deny it. Courts are extremely concerned about the fact that kids know who their parents are and do not get confused by a change in their parent. Talk with an attorney for a consultation for advice.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


I agree with Mr. Leroi. You are likely to be considered the psychological parent even if you are not the biological father, after 6 years. If a court finds you are the psychological parent, then you may still be required to pay child support. Also, it depends if you have admitted paternity in any of the court proceedings so far. I would think long and hard about going this route. However, if you are certain that they are not your children, you could petition the court to order a paternity test. Whether they would at this juncture is hard to know without more details of your case.

Legal disclaimer: Answering this question does not establish an attorney client relationship. This answer is for educational purposes only. You should consult an attorney in your state for your circumstances.


If paternity has already been determined in a judicial proceeding, it may be too late. You would be well advised to speak with a family law attorney who is well versed in paternity matters to determine whether you have options at this point.


I don't think you want the answer. It won't likely help you in any way and could harm your relationship with your kids.



yes, right about now i wish i could delete this question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer