Skip to main content

Accident on freeway, driver admitted fault, his policy limit of $10,000 doesn't cover my car, now what?

Bloomington, CA |

Driver 1 (not reg. owner) didn't maintain control of his vehicle, hydroplaned into a semi-truck that bounced him across all lanes finally coming to a stop directly in front of my car.

He admitted fault. His ins. told me that I have an expensive car, my damages exceed their limit of $10,000 (my total loss + the semi) and to submit a claim to my own ins., but for what? I have liability but not comprehensive or collision.

I have no car & since they told me that they could only MAYBE pay for some of a rental car, I didn't rent a car.

I have cancer. It's hard to get to my doctor appointments, always asking/planning for rides every day is tiring.

I was injured but can't afford any Dr. bills/creditors. Cost lots already with no end in sight.
I'm not at fault. I need my car. What can I do?

Than you all for your quick replies! I didn't seek medical attention for my injuries, (leg still hurts) so no bodily injury claim? My passenger was transported via ambulance and he already has bills over $10,000. No thanks. I'm not about to start a bodily injury claim I'd rather have my car* back or one just like it. I'm afraid that a lawyer will get most of anything I sue for, which would be fine as long as I could replace my car. But, I highly doubt that scenario without a personal injury claim...all I want is enough money to simply buy another car just like the one I had. Well, that, the $600 towing fee, and to get back the money it's been costing me for rides everywhere. If I had to get a lawyer for this nightmare, would I even end up with enough money to replace my car? What does something like this cost anyhoo? Thank you all again for your kind replies. It is appreciated more so than you may realize! *2006 Pontiac GTO w/6-speed manual transmission

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Consult an attorney to investigate if there are any other avenues of recovery. Your only option may be to go after them personally.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


As noted, you can go after driver personally. In addition, this is why you have uninsured and under insured insurance on your car, so your company can make up for this. Sorry you are hurt and hope you contact a Personal Injury atty soon to take the worry of all of this out of your hands.


It sounds like the $10,000 is the property damage policy limit. If you were hurt, you may also make a bodily injury claim, which falls under a separate policy limit. That would be on top of what you recover to repair your car. If the driver was not the registered owner, then, you may be able to go after his insurance too. If the driver has a car of his own, that insurance policy may be available to you under certain circumstances. Im sorry to hear of your terrible situation. Retain a personal injury attorney, he'll (or she'll) do the work of recovering your damages. You just get better. Good luck!


I can understand your frustration. Have you suffered any injuries? If so , get treated and then hire a PI attorney to help you. Do not make any statements to the other insurance companies. You may have a claim against the registered owner of the car. If you are not going to hire an attorney, you should submit a claim to the registered owner's insurance company for the balance of your damages. Best of club.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate all the coverage.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer