Skip to main content

Accaused of lieing to Police, what is the punishment.

Kankakee, IL |

My wife and I met a young guy at a resort and he asked if he could tag along with us to the store. While there he went his way and did property damage, he rejoined us and we left. We only know his first name. The police contacted us and do not believe us. What type of charges can they make and what type of defense do we have and do we need an atty? I am guilty of being stupid for sure!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Property damage can have both civil and criminal consquences. If you are criminally charged, hire a criminal defense attorney. If you are sued in civil court, hire a litigation attorney to defend you.

Until you know what claims are being made, you cannot begin to understand the range of potential punishment(s).


To charge you with obstruction of justice the state would have to prove that you knew the name of the person, and gave the police false information. Everyone has the right to refuse to answer police questions, but if you choose to answer, you can be charged if you lie.