Skip to main content

Abstract Judgment filed in CA against property

Palm Springs, CA |

I had filed a Homestead Declaration for my primary residence, and after that time a credit card co. has filed an abstract judgment against my property. I have little to no equity in my property anyway, but I was under the impression if there is no equity or at least up to the exempt amount, that a judgment would not/should not attach to my property. I'm confused obviously about the process.

I forgot the second part of my question - on the form filed with the county by the law firm, it shows 0 interest being charged and gives a total amount of $5,000 for the debt and fees. Does this mean no interest will be charged later, or does the judgment "automatically" accrue interest until paid? Thank you to those that have answered, I really appreciate the information. I hope to settle some day, I just don't have the money right now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Declaration of Homestead does not prevent recordation of involuntary liens, instead it formally announces that those liens do not attach unless and until your homestead exemption is satisfied first. In your case, the issue is moot because you have little or no equity anyway. If you file BK later on, be sure to file a motion to avoid the judgment lien otherwise, it will survive the BK and may come back to haunt you if your home increases in value sufficiently.


I agree with Mr. Steingraber’s comments but think I should point out that the homestead exemption is only applicable when a sale of the property takes place. The lien is good against the property in the circumstance of a refinance. You will not be able to refinance without satisfying the lien, irrespective of your homestead exemption.

-- Michael

Michael R. Daymude, Attorney at Law
Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building
15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-3199
(818) 971-9409

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Obtaining an abstract of judgment is a preliminary step to securing a lien against property. If you intend to file bankruptcy, and a judgment lien is issued before you are able to file, you may need to file a Motion to Avoid Judgment Lien in the Bankruptcy Court.
You may want to ask some of the litigation attorneys about the process for obtaining, or defending against, a lien against your property in litigation. I have re-categorized your question to include Litigation.

Note: The statements or comments provided herein are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal advice as to any particular individual or instance. Samson & Associates does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of Samson & Associates, and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.