Skip to main content

About crossing border for Canada to the u.s too get married too american

Olive Branch, MS |

well my question is when your going the border too cross what do you tell them so dont make you look like doing anything bad

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


To enter the US to get married to a US citizen, the US citizen must first petition you for a K-1 visa and you must obtain that visa.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You tell them the truth, anything short of that may be a material misrepresentation and could result in your permanent (but waivable) inadmissibility to the United States. However, they may deny your entry for immigrant intent. You will have to show you are planning to return to Canada after marrying, with the intent of filing an alien relative petition and consular processing thereafter.

To do it properly, if you intend to stay post-marriage, you should apply for a fianceé visa before entering the U.S.

Consult with an attorney for more options and information.

I am not your attorney. I am providing you an answer for general information purposes only. That information should be used as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for a consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issues. You should not rely on the information above as legal information. Finally, your question and its answers are not confidential and not subject to attorney-client privilege.


I am totally confused as to what you are asking about.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I am both a Canadian Attorney and an American attorney. I practice in both countries. To answer your question better, I need more information. Are you a Canadian citizen? Would you like to reside in the United States or just go there to get married? I look forward to hearing from you.

This information is for general purposes only based on very limited information. It cannot be relied upon without consulting an attorney who can properly assess your case.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott


I agree with Attorney Dhade's excellent insight and comments.