Skip to main content

About a month ago my ex decided to take my 5 yr old daughter to a therapist without my knowledge.

Naples, NY |

Do I have a right to know what the sessions are about?? Can I call the therapist and talk to them about her sessions?? I just found out about her going, thru court papers my ex sent me for custody issues. I don't want to go to our court date completly blind as to what is going on.

I have Joint custody of my daughter and i have visitations with her..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can approach the therapist and see if they will speak to you about the sessions. In the alternative, you can request access when you appear in court on the next date. If there is no agreement as to custody and visitation a law guardian will most likely be appointed to represent the child and you can speak to that person as to what is going on in therapy. At some point, the thoughts of the therapist should be made known to the court. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


If you have joint custody you have the right to speak to the therapist and have your questions answered.
I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


Generally, joint custody means that you have the right to access all medical and education records for your child. If the therapist won't provide any information, you may need to seek it out through the court process.

Also, note that for custody cases you may be able to qualify for a free attorney in the Family Court (depending on your income). It sounds like your case may be high conflict, so you should get an attorney or ask at your first court date if you qualify for an appointed lawyer.

Best Regards,
Morghan Leia Richardson, Esq.
Divorce Mediator and Attorney
Richardson Legal PLLC
31-08 Broadway, Suite 204
Astoria, New York 11106
Tel: 212-537-6744
Fax: 212-574-3337