Skip to main content

A summons was mailed to me from racine county for a felony as a party to a crime.

Muskego, WI |

what happend was a year ago an old friend of mine told me and another friend he had to get his laptop from someones house another friend that i knew. i went with him to knock on the door with another friend of mine and after around 20 seconds of knocking my old friend went to the back of his house. we had no idea wat he was doing. i walked back into the car and my friend stayed outside smokin a cigarette. a detective did talk to me about a year ago but i was afraid to tell him what really happend so i told him the driver went back to get my other friend. but what really happend was we were smoking marijuana and i didnt want this to get us or him in trouble. anyways my other friend who ran to the back came running out with a stolen laptop and claimed to break one. we dropped him off asap.

im concerned as to why are they summoning me and what do they want the person who stole it is blaming me for breaking and stealing it :(. also on top of that this kid has a bad record and im very clean. but in the summons there are statements saying from a girl who was with us that stayyed in the car that i was in the car. and that i did not go to the back at all or enter that house and that the kid who stole it pulled it out of his pants the stolen laptop. please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need an attorney ASAP and to stop discussing facts of the case on the internet. If you can't afford an attorney apply to the public defenders office for one.



i have no money at all is there a way i can apply online for a public defender? :/

Tajara Dommershausen

Tajara Dommershausen


no you need to call them or go to their office.


You don't have to directly participate in the offense to be guilty as a party to the crime. You can be convicted if you aid and abet (assist, or be ready and willing to assist the person who actually does the deed) or by being part of a conspiracy to commit the offense. In your original post in this public forum you not only put yourself at the scene of the crime with knowledge of what your friend had done, but also admit to obstructing and illegal drug use. Stop posting, don't e-mail, tweet, or post on facebook regarding these events, and take steps to speak confidentially with your own attorney as soon possible. Burglary is a class F felony, punishable by a 12.5 year bifurcated prison sentence (up to 7.5 years in prison followed by up to 5 more years of extended supervison) and/or a fine of up to $25K.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


Unfortunately, the situation you describe won't get solved by posting on this website. Felonies are serious -- potentially life-wrecking -- and you need an attorney. Hire someone if you can. If you cannot, that is why the public defender system exists.

My answer to your question is based on the facts that you provide in your question. Additional factual details about your situation could change my answer completely. The law in inherently uncertain and always subject to change.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer