A Public defender was handling my daughters case and she received a letter stating the lawyer was suspended from the bar.How do

West Covina, CA |

How do i find out who is handling her case now.

Have your daughter call the public defender's office and ask. She should be assigned another attorney in the office.

The above answer is intended for general information only. It is not legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship. For a free consultation, users in Northern California may contact Che L. Hashim, Esq. at (415) 487-1700.

Call the Public Defender and ask who is handling the case. There is a possibility (I have seen it) that the lawyer did not notify his employer of the suspension. If he still has the case, she should complain and get a different lawyer. I do not know the procedural posture of the case, but if a suspended lawyer has handled significant parts of the case, and the suspension is for serious misconduct, you should have her consult outside counsel.

Call the Public Defender's Office. Or, seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. A good place to start is by going to the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL.org) Clicking on this link will take you to the part of their site that links you to a map of the US where you can click on your jurisdiction to find an affiliate local organization. There is also a link to find members of NACDL near you. Meet several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. There is no confidentiality online.
NACDL Local affiliates: https://www.nacdl.org/About.aspx?id=20400
NACDL local members: https://www.nacdl.org/impak/cms/members_online/members/findalawyer.asp

http://defendme.net | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Or the asker here could use the extensive geographically-organzed listings of criminal defense counsel right here on this free site.

James Regan

James Regan

Thanks for sharing! You have a valid point. But in the area of criminal defense, especially, violent crime one might be best served by employing an attorney who knows about and continues to learn about false confessions, witness misidentification, prosecutorial misconduct, discovery reform, etc, and belongs to a not-for-profit organization that promotes and advances education and awareness of those issues. On the other hand since there is national or state-wide associations of administrative lawyers, other than sections of bar associations, AVVO.com is a great resource for finding niche practitioners.

James Regan

James Regan

One wouldn't go to the AKC breeders site looking to rescue a basset hound in California, one would go to the site of Basset Hound Rescue of Southern California, http://www.bassethoundrescue.org/ right?

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

We clearly have some very different assessments about the breadth and depth of skills, experience, and professional knowledge of many of the criminal defense attorneys who are listed here on Avvo and, especially, those who are active participants on this Q and A board.

James Regan

James Regan

I actively use Avvo. I think Avvo is great. But some places, especially remote areas, have no violent crime listings, or attorneys with no rankings. As a member of NACDL and FACDL (Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) and past member of FPAA (Florida Prosecuting Attorney Association) I can say that, through experience, those that become members of these groups tend to be more effective, more knowledgeable and more ethical than non-members. I also know some great criminal litigators that are not on Avvo- but are NACDL or FACDL members. My goal in answering questions is to help people find the best lawyer possible- not promote Avvo. Respectfully, JR

James Regan

James Regan

PS: Today I had an Avvo attorney who never knew of NACDL and have joined because of my posts- and benefited- from free legal research to the motions bank to the expert database.

James Regan

James Regan

PPS: I would add, finally, that this link: https://www.nacdl.org/About.aspx?id=20400 , when clicked on California brings the 'clicker' to a link for California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (http://www.cacj.org). It would be too time consuming for me to look up each state's organization for every answer.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

AKC breeders of Bassets -- and most other breeds -- are extremely vigilant, dedicated and active in breed rescue.

James Regan

James Regan

True, but there are bad apples. http://www.citizensagainstpuppymills.org/pmakc.php

James Regan

James Regan

From http://www.citizensagainstpuppymills.org/pmakc.php: "Puppy mills mean big revenues for the AKC. In 2006, the American Kennel Club (AKC) registered 870,000 individual dogs and 416,000 litters. At $20 per dog and $25 per litter (plus $2 per puppy), AKC brought in well over $30 million in revenues from registration of dogs born in puppy mills. The AKC, though, does not check to find out if dogs even qualify for registration and does not travel to every breeder’s facility to inspect it. The AKC has announced it “cannot guarantee the quality or health of dogs in its registry.” But AKC is happy to take the money, which, incidentally, is the largest source of its revenue, and issue "papers" for the dogs anyway. Usually the "papers" simply list the purebred lineage listed on the application submitted by the breeder. An American Kennel Club (AKC) representative, Lisa Peterson, recently stated: “Dogs are property. And we like to leave the option to the owner of the property, of the dog, with the breeder. It's their decision as to how many intact females to own or how many litters to produce.” "

James Regan

James Regan

See also: http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/07/humane-society-accuses-american-kennel-club-of-protecting-puppy-mills/

James Regan

James Regan

The report is based on information uncovered during HSUS-assisted raids of puppy mills, AKC “alerts” sent to breeders, materials published on AKC’s website, and AKC’s lobbying activities over the past five years. Among the findings: Humane organizations have assisted law enforcement in rescuing suffering dogs from large puppy mills whose operators regularly registered dogs with AKC. In just the past six months, this includes three facilities in North Carolina where more than 250 dogs were caged in squalor. Ironically, the AKC’s primary office is located in Raleigh. Over the past five years, AKC has opposed more than 80 different state bills and local ordinances designed to provide stronger protections for dogs in puppy mills. The group has opposed landmark measures enacted in Missouri, North Carolina, Oregon, West Virginia, Texas, Washington, and other states. Since the end of the 1990s, when AKC was facing a boycott of its registry by large-scale, commercial dog breeding facilities, the group has dedicated significant resources to fighting laws that would regulate those facilities. In 2012 alone, AKC asked its supporters to oppose: Laws in several states that would have required puppy producers to comply with basic care standards Legislation in three states that would have prevented the debarking of dogs without a medical reason An ordinance in a Tennessee town designed to prevent dogs from being left in hot cars A Rhode Island state bill to prevent people from chaining or crating a dog for more than 14 hours a day A Louisiana state bill that would have prevented breeding facilities from keeping dogs in stacked, wire-floored cages AKC has attempted to deflect independent regulation of large-scale breeders on grounds that it maintains an internal kennel inspections program, but standards for the program are unclear and its results unpublished. The HSUS report discloses that some puppy mills had been “inspected” by AKC but were still the subject of law enforcement-led rescues—with facility operators later convicted of animal cruelty on account of the poor conditions of their dogs. Most recently, AKC has been lobbying breeders to oppose a proposed U.S. Department of Agriculture rule that would regulate Internet puppy sellers under the federal Animal Welfare Act. AKC’s chair described the regulations as “onerous,” even though the proposal includes exemptions for breeders with fewer than five breeding female dogs as well as breeders who sell only to buyers they meet in person.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

I don't know how this thread transitioned from a disciplined PD to the AKC but I would like to weigh in on Avvo attorneys. In my experience there are some excellent attorneys who demonstrate their excellence by the quality of their answers. On the other hand there are a large number of bottom feeders here who are building etch a sketch reputations. You might not know which is which unless you have posted here a long time. From time to time some lawyer decides that he is going to make himself the all time leader in questions answered in a specified field. In criminal law, Benjamin Lieberman answered up to 300 questions a week until he captured the leadership of the criminal board and the stopped posting. Any attorney who has time to answer 300 questions a week either does not have a practice or is neglecting it. The current candidate for the Wizard of Oz is Charles Kenyon who answers questions from all states (and very few from his native WI, usually repeating the answers of attorneys who respond first or more economically by just adding a me too response. I wouldn't use either one to take out the garbage. On the other hand I found Ms. Mccall here who is a genius in her field and there are others like Robert Marshall, who always give thoughtful, considered answers. So in conclusion Avvo is one of the worst places to look for the uninitiated; unfortunately the public has fallen for the house of cards Avvo has built and I am sure not always to their benefit.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

John Kaman! It is you and your ilk that got me into this! You and Joe Dane and Jeff Moore and a few others who I have come to recognize as towers of experience, insight, and practical gut-level knowledge are exactly what caused me to make my arch comment about the value of using Avvo Q and A participants as the first-resort pool of potential criminal defense counsel. My family has a very short list of who to call when I finally step over the line and get myself in deep trouble and YOU are on my list.

James Regan

James Regan

Agrees with Mr. Kaman. I respect his opinions. I also respect Ms. McCalls'. I also like a healthy debate that dies not get ad hominem, which is what we had here. I appreciate everyone's input and contributions to Avvo. I try to do my best in pointing people in the right direction. I usually answer questions when in court waiting for my turn.

James Regan

James Regan

to clarify- we had an debate free from ad hominem argument.

James Regan

James Regan

FInal question in closing... why is Avvo sending reps to the FACDL annual conference and the CLEs and NACDL conferences and CLE's? Because they want to attract the knowledgeable attorneys who care about the profession, about ethics and who want to be on the cutting edge of the latest developments in the law. It is what out clients and general public Avvo users deserve.

James Regan

James Regan

And final comment. Look at the poster's comment to my advice, which was the same as above. The link is: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/15-years-ago-a-tip-was-called-to-fbi-police-about--921392.html?post_answer_id=1631753&post_id=310105&ref=notification_page#answer_1631753.

If you want to check the lawyers bar status enter his name at www.calbar.ca.us. You can check the profile of any California attorney there.

There are a few things that you can do (1) get a new PD (2) get the alternate PD or (3) get a private attorney who can spend time ont he case.

Elliot Zarabi
www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
213-612-7720

The PD's office is still handling the case. Your daughters case will be reassigned to another pd. you can try and call the pd's office and find out which pd will be handling the case.

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship and should only be used for informational purposes.