Skip to main content

A Process server ran up to my moving car almost in an effort to impede me from going forward is this legal?

San Luis Obispo, CA |

A couple of process servers have been trying to contact my son who works out of town most of the week. One of them got nasty so i called the attorney and explained that he works out of town also explained that the PS became across in a harassing manner. i said that i would not put up with it and a no trespassing sign would go up and they would no longer be allowed to knock at my door. They sent a different PS who was across the street smoking. When he saw me backing out he threw his cigarette down grabbed the papers and ran into the street. i could not even get all the way onto the street. He ran up so fast as i sped up to get away from this nut he took pictures of me. Is all this legal

+ Read More

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes
Attorney answers 3


Legal on a public street, sure


Dangerous, reckless, legal. And if service was accomplished, you are validly served. If service was not accomplished, be prepared for substitute service to be accomplished. In truth, there is no point to evading service by such stunts as you engaged in here. You can't avoid successful service. One way or another the court will allow you to be served -- by constructive service, substitute service, service by operation of law -- if not in fact. The days when dodging service was worth the trouble or the risk are long gone.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


Yes, absolutely. Expect more of it. While is is lawful for you to avoid service, it is equally lawful for a process server to do anything lawful to effect service.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.