Skip to main content

A policeman said he is going to charge me for obstruction of justice. How can I get a copy of the report?

Olney, MD |

I got a citation for underage possession of alcohol. I lied about my personal information but I confessed when the cop pulled out the computer. The cop said he was going to charge me for obstruction of justice, but when he gave me my citation copy it didn't say anything about obstructing justice. Will he bring it up at court? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Request it from the police station.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


If the officer files such charges, then you can get a copy of the report. He may have only been trying to scare you, but if charged, you will need a lawyer. The alcohol citation, if it is your first, can be resolved by way of a pre-trial diversion program offered on your first court appearance by the State's Attorney's office, which will avoid any guilty finding or trial (the case will get dismissed in exchange for community service/alcohol class). If this is not your first offense, you will have to plea or try the case, in which circumstance, you may want to hire a lawyer to keep this off your record. Alcohol citations which do not result in a conviction can be expunged, so they do not come up in a criminal background check when you apply for a job. A lawyer can assist you with an expungement or there are forms you can fill in on your own once the case is over.


It is possible that the officer will file and you will get served with a Statement of Charges, even though he didn't arrest you from the scene. However, given that you were written the citation on-scene, let's hope that doesn't happen. Even if it does happen, we'll deal with it. I routinely get these cases dismissed for community service, even when there are additional charges beyond Underage Possession. Call or email me anytime for a FREE consultation and we can discuss more details. And if you ever decide to hire me, you'll find that my fees are reasonable and payment plans are OK.


Dear Sir:

You will only get information after request from State's Attorney prior to trial. Lawyers get this stuff.

Call me for a free consultation. 301-943-0624

William A. Simmons
Butler & Simmons, P.A.
Attorneys & Counselors at Law
11501 Georgia Avenue, Suite 100
Silver Spring, MD 20902
301-942-0734 facsimile

The information contained in this e-mail message is information protected by the attorney client privilege and/or the attorney work product privilege and the privileges are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by e-mail. If the person actually receiving this e-mail or any other reader of this e-mail is not the named recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the named recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify this office immediately by telephone and return the original message by e-mail. Thank you.


After charges have been filed, then you may obtain the report in discovery. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer