Skip to main content

A personal injury insurance person is coming to my house. What to do????

Machias, ME |

A personal injury insurance person is coming to my house soon to talk about my injuries in a accident which I was hit from behind while stopped waiting for someone to finish turning. I went to the ER the next day all is fine but I am still really sore from the neck down & it has been a week now & still having pain from the accident. Not including anxiety,stress etc. Not sure if I need to contact a lawyer? Please advise!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Yes you should. You can be sure that the person coming to see you is only going to be interested in protecting the insurance company. They are not there to help you. Do not allow them to obtain a recorded statement from them and do not sign an authorization so they can get your medical records. Before they come, you should call and speak with an experienced Maine personal injury attorney. You should also go see your doctor if you are still having the kind of pain you describe.


You are correct to be suspicious of the insurance company adjuster's motives for coming to your house. Remember, they work for the other driver's insurance company, not for you. Yes, you should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible and obtain a consultation before you let the insurance adjuster come. You are still having pain and may require more medical treatment. You have not been fully diagnosed and treated yet. Call a personal injury attorney in Maine for a consultation - most initial consultations are free.

Merry Fountain is licensed to practice law in Indiana. She can be contacted at 1-888-242-HURT. This is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is legal education intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. If the question does not include important timeframes and facts the answer could change. Merry Fountain strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state.


Consult with an attorney, prior to talking with the insurance person.


Unless there is some crazy law in Maine that imposes upon you a duty to speak to the other carrier's investigator, why are you going to do so? Cancel the meeting and retain a personal injury lawyer immediately! And do not delay in going to the ER or to your doctor to address your injuries.

I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not intended to be taken as legal advice. These opinions are based on New York practice. I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.


Don't say a single solitary word without first retaining a local Machias personal injury lawyer


You should contact a lawyer. You don't have to speak to this insurance rep., and you should not do so alone because it will likely only hurt your case down the line. A good lawyer will also hopefully be able to help you get further treatment, which it sounds like you need. All the best.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer