Skip to main content

A person with a CDL is driving without a licence. can I call the company he's contracted to work for and let them know?

Enid, OK |

This person is self employed with a CDL and does contract work regularly with the same companies. His license has been suspended and he also has warrant for failure to pay child support. I was wondering if I could legally call the companies he does contract work for and let them know about the suspension and warrant or do they even care?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

There is no restriction on a private party from reporting to companies that their driver lacks a license to drive their vehicles. Your potential liability is if the information is false or inaccurate and the person gets terminated or loses a contract as a result. You may be liable for interference with contract or potential business advantage. As previously advised you could also report the party to law enforcement.
Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.


The warrant may or may not be of interest. They'd be acting rather foolish if they used an unlicensed driver after being aware of the circumstances. Of course, if you know where someone works, know they are unlicensed and know of a warrant, if you are wanting to go all John Q or Jane Q Goodcitizen on the matter, a call to local law enforcement would appear to be a two birds, one call scenario.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer