Skip to main content

A mold consultant found toxic mold growing in my apartment what can I do

Cameron Park, CA |

Samples were collected and a mold report was done along with a reccomendation that we evacuate. An engineer stated that Mold was due directly to water runoff ponding behind my apt walls. All my possesions stored on the floor were soaked and now covered with mold. Many valuable items were also destroyed by water and subsequent mold growth,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


First, you must attempt to salvage as many items as you can and have them remediated. Do not retain items that retain water as mold may grow on them and can be transferred to your next living environment. Take pictures of ALL damages items.

Second, you should call your local code enforcement and have someone come to the property to document all code violations.

Third, document your attempts to have the landlord remedy the situation. Also compile a list of names of people who might have know about the water damage and/or mold prior to your tenancy.

Fourth, take pictures of all water and mold at the property.

Fifth, if you are exhibiting symptoms while living at the home you must see a specialized doctor including, but not limited to, an allergist, toxicologist and/or pulmonologist (depending on your symptoms).

Finally, call an attorney who specializes in mold/toxic tort litigation. These cases are extremely complicated and must be worked up in the proper way.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer