Skip to main content

A man was test driving a car at car dealer and he ran into my fence he has no insurance is the car dealership responsible to pay

Fayetteville, AR |

Police came and gave man a ticket but they expect me to file with my insurance and I refuse. I have an estimate I need to know if I can go after the dealership

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Get the insurance info of the dealership, and file a claim. If their insurance won't pay, small claims court.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I would contact the dealership and demand that they alert that carrier to your claim. Their carrier should provide coverage.


Probably not unless the dealership knew or should have known that the driver was likely to be an unsafe driver. If they were on notice, they may be liable, otherwise, I think you're stuck going after the driver.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


While I agree with the answers of the other attorneys responding to your query, I would add that you can go ahead and file with your homeowner's insurance, if the damage is greater than your deductible, inasmuch as your insurance will not only fix your fence but then they (and their attorneys) will go after the driver and the dealership under what is called subrogation.

Otherwise, whether to pursue it in small claims or circuit court will depend on the damages to your fence (e.g., if it is only a small section of a wood picket fence you are probably looking at a small claims case).

If you do end up having to bring suit, make sure you name both the driver and the dealership as defendants.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.


You need to contact an attorney to see if they will send a demand letter to the dealership to determine whether their insurance policy covers the property damage that you sustained. If it does not cover it, then you probably are just left with suing the driver of the car because it was his negligence that caused the car accident unless the car had a defect that caused the car accident. In such case, you could possibly sue the manufacturer and/or the dealership.

Good luck.


The dealership should have insurance coverage for this type of scenario. In my opinion, if you file suit against the driver, the car dealer's policy will provide coverage. Obviously the unknown is whether this is a reputable dealership that has a policy, or a low rent car lot that does not.

This response should not be constued as legal advice on how to proceed as our firm does not have enough information to analyze the claim. Further, until we are in an attorney/client relationship we generally do not give specific legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer