Skip to main content

A friend of mine was admitted in the USA under the visa waiver program. He wants to stay, work and never leave, can he do that?

Miami, FL |

He is willing to stay in the USA illegally after the 90 days period, find a job, and just stay in the there a way to adjust his status? What can happen to him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally, individuals who enter on the Visa Waiver Program are prohibited from adjusting, changing or extending their status in the United States. Your friend should use his time in the US to consult with an immigration attorney to determine what options might be available to him.


No. He can be deported and if placed in removal proceedings he will not have any form of relief.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.


No, he cannot change his status, unless it is adjustment based on marriage. Your friend should consult with the US attorney.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:



Well, I guess he can stay if he finds someone to marry him in 90 days. Is that as easy as it seems? Aren't there any background checks? What about if he marries after overstaying his visa waiver? I think he is gonna get in trouble, I'm trying to convince him not to overstay and violate the visa waiver.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer