Skip to main content

A friend of mine is due in a month. She is giving the child to us once the child is born. Can I complete the adoption on my own?

North Fort Myers, FL |

I can not afford an attorney and was wondering if it was legal for me to complete the adoption on my own? Mom and I have discussed everything regarding the adoption and mom agrees. The only thing left would be the paperwork. Any suggestions would help. Thank you.

+ Read More

Filed under: Employment Adoption
Attorney answers 5


No, you cannot complete the adoption on your own. A home study is required for adoptive parents who are not related to the person being adopted within the third degree of consanguinity. Home studies are performed by licensed social workers or child placing agencies. Additionally, because this does not qualify as a relative adoption, you must utilize an attorney or agency to handle the adoption. Once again, this is not the type of case that you are permitted to handle on your own. Depending upon your city of residence, we are familiar with many home study providers and attorneys that can assist you for a very reasonable fee. Feel free to email me directly at for additional information.


Adoption is a very technical process and for something this important you do not want any mistakes. I would highly recommend you get in touch with an experienced adoption attorney in your area.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


The Florida Adoption Act requires that you use a Florida licensed professional (attorney or agency) to adopt a child. There are many legal issues (e.g., you did not mention the biological father who has rights, and you need to have an approved home study, with background checks) to address. We can give you names of experience adoption professionals in your area if you contact us at, or you may contact the Florida Bar for names of adoption attorneys at 1-800-342-8011. Best wishes.


An adoption MUST be handled by an intermediary, as defined by Florida law. This is not something that you can do on your own.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory (561)743-3708.

Posted cannot do that.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer