Skip to main content

A friend is a Canadian citizen and is barred from entering the US. He lives along the US border and does not know why.

Inkster, MI |

How can we go about finding out why and whom to contact ?

Thank you in advance

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


An immigration attorney can help you find out why he cannot enter and what steps he needs to take to get permission to enter. He may need a waiver of inadmissibility for some past immigration or criminal violation.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.


I agree with Attorney Abrutyn. Many times, the reason that a person is not allowed to enter the United States is because of something on the person's record. If the person is inadmissible, the person may be eligible to seek a waiver and be allowed to enter.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


We can investigate this further. For example, we can obtain an FBI background check to determine if this is the issue.


I agree with my colleagues. It would be best for your friend to contact an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the details of his immigration and criminal history (if applicable) to try to determine what is going on and why he has been unable to enter. There could be a number of reasons why he has been not granted permission to come to the United States, however, further information would be needed to make that determination and also to advise on whether there might be any waivers or other ways for your friend to be able to come to the United States.

Ellie Mosko Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: The information I provide on Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship


I agree with may colleagues

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There could be any number of reasons he has been prevented from entering the US - prior work in the US without a work permit, criminal history, etc.
He can submit a Freedom Of Information Act request to the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer