Skip to main content

A detective called me and wants to talk to me. Please reply as soon as possible!

Monroe, WA |

A detective from sheriffs office called me , wanted to talk to my mom or I. Mom is 83 years old and lives with me since 2005. Her kids have been lying and saying I kidnapped her. My mom wants nothing to do with her kids and wants them to leave her alone. They already took advantage of my dad (not their dad) who was having mental issues after a car accident in 2004 and convinced him to divorce his wife of 45 years and made my parents loose their home. Mom's kids took everything from my dad and then in other words murder him by not taking care of him. They pulled the plug on him had him cheaply creamated. They have forged him name and made him do things he would never done.My dad hated my mom's kids since 1959. Now thery are after my mom. She gave me power of attorney. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


NEVER talk to the police without consulting an attorney first. YOu have the right to remain silent and you have the right to an attorney and its always best to use these. There are too many things that can go wrong when you talk with a detective without representation. Cases of people talking themselves into trouble are much greater than those of people talking themselves out of trouble. Hiring a criminal defense attorney to represent you at this stage can save you a lot of time and money when compared to defending against criminal charges. An attorney can help you respond is a way that may prevent any further issues.

In the meantime, do NOT post any facts about the case on the internet and do not talk about this to anyone except your attorney.

You cannot prevent the officer's from talking to your mother. You also cannot coach your mother on how to respond to officers, how to evade the officers or otherwise hinder an investigation. Any of these would be criminal acts that will get you in trouble. Your mother needs her own attorney to advise her.

The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.



If I have power of attorney over my mom does she have to talk to the detective?

Scott Weymouth Lawrence

Scott Weymouth Lawrence


Power of attorney gives you legal power to handle certain of her affairs. It does not actually make you her attorney in a situation like this and you cannot represent her in a criminal matter. Your mother, like everyone else in this fine country, does not have to talk to the police. You cannot do anything that would be considered tampering with a witness or hindering an investigation. Thus, she needs to make her own decision whether or not to talk to an attorney. MY ADVICE to her might be different than my advice to you. She does not appear to be the target of an investigation and there is probably less danger in her talking to the police. She should retain her own attorney if she has questions about this. As you can see one attorney cannot represent both of you as there may be some serious conflicts of interest. Probably the most you can do as far as your mom is concerned it to hire an attorney for you to talk to.


I suggest that you hire a local lawyer before you talk to anyone from the sheriff's office. If you can't afford a lawyer, you should call your local office of public defense to ask them to appoint someone for "substantial advice." Even though the allegations are false, you need to make sure that your rights are protected so that things don't get any worse for you or your mom. Good luck!


Hire an attorney immediately or seek help from the office of assigned counsel. Police are very capable and experienced at talking suspects (that's you) into incriminating themselves.

I simply want to concur with Mr. Lawrence and Ms. Mulligan so you can appreciate that generally attorneys are opposed to permitting police interviews in absence of attorney.

Any opinions, remarks, statements, or implications thereof made by me do not constitute legal advice. Such opinions, remarks, statements, or implications thereof are meant only as general statements of the law. Laws and regulations are in constant flux. The giving of legal advice requires a careful examination of the specific facts of an individual case beyond what is possible on Previous results do not guarantee future results will be similar. No attorney-client relationship is formed by my use of


You need to speak to a local attorney ASAP. There are several issues at play here, and you don't want to accidentally get caught up in more trouble than necessary. It sounds like your mother and yourself may be the victim here, but you need to be advised by a lawyer about your legal situation.

Good luck and don't delay taking action.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer