Skip to main content

A creditor is trying to collect on fees they claimed are from a debt that I fulfilled 5 years ago.

Sacramento, CA |

My employer stopped garnishing my checks because the court ordered amount was fulfilled, I tried to contact the debtor to confirm the amount was satisfied and requested a written document but received nothing. Now 5 years later they have filed to garnish my check again for what they claimed is the unsatisfied amount from the original debt. They waited 5 years and now the amount is more and they never contacted me whatsoever and I thought the amount was satisfied, do they have the right to do this. Do I have a chance to dispute this ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes, they can do it, and, yes, you can dispute it. Immediately contact the attorney requesting the garnishment and demand verification of the amount owed. Send them copies of all your proof that the amount was paid 5 years ago and demand they show you how you owe them money. If you don't like their answer or don't get one, file a motion with the court on the original judgment seeking an order rendering it satisfied and to quash the garnishment.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer