Skip to main content

A casulty adjsuter wants us to fill out an authorization to disclose health infomration and provide s SSN? Is this required?

Milledgeville, GA |

Can the claim be processes without that information if we have copies of all associated bills, or do they have to have access to medical records from the hospital?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The insurance adjuster wants to be sure that he/she is getting a complete file of all hospital records so a certified copy will be requested directly from the hospital. This will require your SSN, but do you not have an attorney if you are making a claim? Usually your attorney will submit the HIPPA form to the hospital and acquire the records. Are you making a claim against your insurance company or another person/entity's insurance company?


If you are not represented by an attorney, the adjuster may indicate that he or she cannot go forward with processing your claim without the authorization form as a matter of policy. Having the authorization allows them to ensure they have a complete set of medical records and any medical bills that may have been overlooked.

However, this could also make them privy to ALL of your past medical information with that provider (which can be extensive if you have treated with that doctor or hospital in the past), possibly even privileged information if the authorization form is not properly limited.

I would strongly recommend that you consult legal counsel regarding your personal injury matter. You may be benefited by having an attorney speak on your behalf with the adjuster. An attorney would also request the records directly from the medical provider and then send them to the adjuster.

Mr. Ashenden is licensed to practice law in Georgia. The response to this question is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Mr. Ashenden has responded based on the limited information provided by the inquirer in this forum. There is a Statute of Limitations applicable in every case and Mr. Ashenden strongly advises that the inquirer seek legal counsel immediately for a complete evaluation of the matter.


Make sure you review any releases with an attorney, and if you do not yet have an attorney, then you should seriously considering retaining an experienced Georgia personal injury attorney as early on as possible to ensure that you build your case and protect your rights. As noted in other posts here, your attorney can also assist you with ensuring that any releases are not overly broad and do not allow the adjuster or other third parties access to records which are beyond the scope of your claim. I wish you the best with your claim and continued recovery from your injuries.

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia and Tennessee for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation, and is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer