Skip to main content

A 14 yr old hurt himself while riding motorcycles with us in a parking lot.his mother gave me permission.

Uniondale, NY |
Attorney answers 7



Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


There is probably some liability on your part as well


What is your question? A 14 year old cannot have driver's license or even a permit in NY. Therefore, you could have some liability but I can't say with any certainty without knowing more. I suggest you put your insurance carriers (auto and homeowner, etc.) on notice in case you get sued. If you don't put them on notice now they may disclaim coverate later.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Are you an adult? Were you there to supervise? were you riding with this 14 year old? I hope he wasn't hurt too badly. While a 14 year old is still a child, s/he is old enough to be held responsible for his or her own actions and may be charged with contributory negligence. As noted above, you must notify your insurance carrie(s) immediately. They will provide you with a defense if this type of accident is covered.

The Nassau Colliseum parking lot can be pretty gravely and cracked. It hasn't been resurfaced in years (except the VIP lot where corp sponsors, players, mngmnt, and a few lucky season ticket holders park). There must be better places to ride.

I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.


Report it to your insurance company to defend.


Contact your insurer and get the number of a criminal attorney, as you and mom may be subject to prosecution for endangering the welfare of a child if someone decides to report it.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Gave you permission for what? How old are you? What is your question. A lot more information is needed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer