Skip to main content


Chicago, IL |

question is: can my good behavior such being mentor of kid here, volunteer in some organisations partly help me with 601 ? I have just long time ago cr. record from other country..No charge or conviction...nothing, just fingerprints taken..But i see i need 601 with my adj. of status papers..Right?

my husband is not ill, he provides us, so, i dont see any hardship base on documents..Just feelings ..Tats all..And why i must applay 601 only for some stupid long ago past espesially i have explanations about what happened..i am nice person and never hurt anybody...It seems like without handycap--husband its impossible to over 601...amer. immigr. law just sucks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


hard to say what you need without seeing your documents. But to answer your question, when applying for an I-601 waiver, you need to prove hardship to a qualifying relative and not necessarily your good moral character or hardship to you. Having said all of this, I strongly recommend that you speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


You need to go to an attorney and have your case evaluated. You might not need the I-601 waiver at all. Or, you may qualify or not qualify for something else. IF you were JUST fingerprinted (or arrested) and the charges were dropped, you might not have an conviction.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


Good behavior is 'good' .... but you still need to show the hardship.

It isn't as hard to prove hardship as you may think ... meet with an attorney to learn more.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with my colleagues. It is good to show your positives but it does not replace the hardship. You should contact an attorney for a consultation. These are complex applications.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


A totality of circumstances may help in eliciting a finding of extreme hardship. Be patient in listing every detail and work with an immigration who could guide you through the process. There is no specific definition of extreme hardship but case law points to various factors that could lead to such a finding.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


Thanks, Carl.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer