Skip to main content

4 youths commit robbery with my Iphone5, pressing charges I don't want them to go to juvenile detention, I want other options.

Brooklyn, NY |

At 4pm, one of the 4 kids snatched my iphone5 from the two hand. i was robbed. All 4 youths were caught and phone returned. I'm pressing charges, but do not want them to go to juvenile detention. I want them to have monitoring(probation) and community service, otherwise i will drop the charges on all 4 youths. Can i request this? is this in my power? I personally don't think Juvenile detention in the long run will do more harm then good. I don't want to get assigned a judge you punishes rather harshly. I want to make sure that juvenile detention is not an option. what can I do? One youth is being tried in criminal court, the other 3 are being tried in family court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Contact the prosecutor on the case immediately and discuss all this. While it is a crime against the public, your compassion is a factor. If the prosecutor persists, write to the judge and anyone else involved in the sentencing and voice your position. Appear at sentencing as well. It's a lot of work, especially for the victim, but if even one of these kids has his future altered for the better from your efforts, it is an immeasurable reward.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Let the judge's who have experience dealing with these types of cases sentence the youths. The myths will have their own lawyers and you can the DA and corporation counsel a victim impact statement and your recommendation. Dropping the charges in all likelihood will give the yoths the courage to continue doing to others what they did to you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Talk to the prosecutor. A Probation Officer will likely contact you and you can make your feelings known.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The Judge will often allow you to make a statement at the time of sentencing. The prosecutor will often consult you with any offers that they give to the defendants. You will have the opportunity to have some say. However, your decision is not controlling.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.