39:4-56.5 Abandonment of motor vehicle Ticket

Paterson, NJ |

I got this ticket for abandonment of MV for parking in the street for more than 48 hours without moving my car. I went to court and pleaded guilty and paid a $56 fine. I looked up the violation online, and it says that the minimum fee is $100. I was wondering why my fine was less than the minimum? Do tickets amounts vary from town to town? The ticket was in Elmwood Park, NJ.

Could have been a parking ticket

What do you mean?

You probably got that fine because the judge thought it was something else. You should be aware that under this statute the Motor Vehicle Commission can, in its discretion, suspend your license for up to two years. I don't know if they do this or under what circumstances they would. If you get anything from MVC, call a lawyer.

Any answers I provide should not be construed as legal advice; they are meant to educate the reader. Additionally, this answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to discuss your case further, please feel free to contact me at david@epgp-law.com

The prosecutor told me that my licence will not be suspended.

Can they still suspended? I asked the prosecutor if they will be any suspension, and he said just a fine, so I pleaded guilty? Was he lying? Can you please respond. Thanks.

The Court is free to set the fines, normally more than the book.

Did you go before the Court and then were assessed the $56 fine? It is possible that you may have pled to an ordinance violation. Either way scan both the ticket and the receipt from the Court and keep in a safe place in the event that the MVC comes knockin'. Good luck.

yea I did. I looked at the receipt for payment, and it had 39:4-56.5 on it. What is an ordinance violation and how is it different?

Vikrant K. Advani

Vikrant K. Advani

An ordinance would be a town or city law versus a state. Sounds like you paid the fine for the state statute. Nothing will probably come of it. If you get a notice from MVC then please contact a lawyer.

Vikrant K. Advani

Vikrant K. Advani

actually your charge appears to have been amended to delaying traffic.

The payment receipt had 39:4-56.5 which is the code for abandonment. Can the charges be amended and still say the code 39:4-56.5 for abandonment on the payment receipt?

That is the fine for 39:4-56. Obstructing Traffic. They may have amended.