Skip to main content

2nd degree sales meth not yet charged but asked to cooperate. Please Help this happened so fast

Fergus Falls, MN |

currently on parole for 2nd degree poss.& just about off.have a criminal history of 6 or 7 an officer of task force approached me today and brought me to office told me he has enough on me to get me on 2nd degree sales. I dont know if he really does he then said he would give me one chance to help myself by being an informant but said could make no promises of any reduction but said prosecutor was open to the idea said if i keep working with them i can stay out of jail for a while. said i am looking at 120 months minimum of 89. had me sign a CI sheet and we went to try to make something happen but wasnt able to today. said i needed to get something soon. nothing in writing he says due to it becoming public info then is all this true and will it really help me. Please reply soon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are a number of issues to be aware of here. Over the years, countless numbers of clients have recieved the same offer. Many times, the result is that they work for the task force, and each job they do is "not quite enough". Remember that unless someone with authority has made an agreement with you, there is no enforceable agreement.

The only person who has this authority is the county attorney, or Assistant U.S. Attorney who is running the case. Your question did not specify whether it was a federal or state issue.

The other component to the question is that with so much of that trade being organized, it can often be dangerous to become a cooperating defendant. Particularly if the matter will go public at some point.

In order to move forward, you need to negotiate with the prosecutor directly, and have any agreement in writing. I believe you should hire an attorney to work on your behalf. If you are capable of assisting, the presence of a lawyer will not hurt you, it will only help you. When I was a prosecutor, it was not uncommon to meet with an informant and their lawyer to negotiate a deal.

Without a written and enforceable deal, given your criminal history, you will need a skilled and agressive attorney anyway. Many criminal defense attorneys offer a free consultation. I certainly do. 651-264-3050.

The answer provided is not intended as legal advice. Any question within a case involves numerous facts and circumstances that cannot be fully accounted for in this forum. You are strongly encouraged to contact an attorney to discuss your issue fully. John C. Conard can be reached for a free consultation at 651-264-3050.


I would be very careful about this situation. I mimic my colleagues advice. It is more often than not that such a "deal" is not a deal at all. There are very specific requirements that must be met before you have any cognizable claim to enforce such an agreement. It does not appear based upon your question that any of them have been met. In fact, it appears they told you expressly that they could not make any promises. I would immediately contact an attorney experienced in this area of law without delay. Every day you waste threatens the opportunity to cooperate or to negotiate a deal.

As an aside, I would strongly recommend against using online websites for these issues. If the prosecution were to find out that you posted this question, it could be construed as a confession, as your statement that you are unsure they have sufficient evidence for Sales 2nd implicitly recognizes that you have committed that crime but are simply uncertain whether they have the evidence of it.

I wish you the best of luck.

This information is being provided as a courtesy to assist you in seeking representation. It should not be construed as legal advice or to create the relationship of attorney and client.


Proceed with caution. The officers do not have authority to promise you any deals. If the prosecutor doesn't have to follow along with any offer the officer makes to you, and there are no rules that say an officer cannot lie to you. If you are seriously considering helping, you should consult with an attorney first to look at the charges you are facing now, and whether it is in your interest to become an informant.

This answer is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. You need to speak to a lawyer to discuss your specific legal situation and to receive legal advice.


As others have said: This is a very dangerous area. You need to hire, or at least consult with, an attorney who is competent and experienced in criminal defense. The cops have no authority to make deals with you, only the prosecutor does. Another problem is that you may put your life at risk, you may be injured or killed, or a family member or loved one may be injured or threatened, all possibly for a very small, or small reduction in your sentence, which is no where's close being worth the risks you have to take....You may wish to call me for a free initial consultation at 952-913-1421 OR contact us through

Nothing herein shall constitute legal advice, nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.