Skip to main content

2 x DUI over 5 years ago and 3 x driving with a suspended license within last 5 years and the US Citizenship.

Miami, FL |

I have applied for the US Citizenship, can I end up being deported for 2 DUI and a felony for driving with suspended license 3 times? I have been a Green Card Holder for 13 years, I have served in the US army 10 years ago. I have applied for the citizenship, had my fingerprints taken, and am waiting for the interview. How can an attorney help me during the interview?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You should speak to an immigration attorney. I changed the practice area to hopefully provide a better response.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


it could be denied oyu have not had a clean record for 5 years and have had multiple misdemeanors in that time. Consult an attorney to discuss your case


You need to contact an Immigration attorney and provide him with the criminal dispositions of your criminal cases in order for the attorney to review your case at depth.

My offices are located in Miami, FL feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No one reading this is authorized to claim that an attorney client relationship exists with this writer or the writer's law firm.


Your eligibility for naturalization depends upon under what provision of law you applied under. For example, most people must show good moral character for 5 years in order to qualify. However, if you have served honorably in the U.S. Military since 09/11/2001 then you need only show 1 year of good moral character. With your criminal record good moral character will certainly be an issue.

Having a lawyer attend your naturalization interview with you is only part of what is needed to make your application sucessful. Your criminal records, military service record, and immigration history all need to be evaluated. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you how best to proceed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore


Firstly, there is not enough information here and we would definitely need to get more from you. Hopefully you have disclosed everything that has occurred to you including the DUI and felony conviction on your application for citizenship? Depending on what you said, if anything is untrue you may have a problem with or without an attorney. You have had to be person of good moral character during 5 years immediately preceding your application and that term is subject to interpretation and a factual underpinning. Please feel free to contact us for assistance. Karen


It doesn't sound like you have any CIMT's or AF's that are deportable. However, depending on how long you have had a clean record; there may be a question of whether you are an alcoholic and moral character.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer