Skip to main content

2 months ago my fiance and i bought a house with both our names on the deed . what are my rights if we split?

Omaha, NE |

can he take me off the deed and sell house?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can bring a court action to either split up, or, more likely, force the sale or buyout of the property. The problem with a buyout in these cases is that often times one party has trouble getting financing on their own. If that is the case, it will be hard to get the other party off of the mortgage. A sale can also present difficulties if there isn't any equity in the property, or if the equity is small enough that you won't be able to absorb the costs involved in selling. If it isn't too late, you might benefit from putting an agreement in writing in case something goes wrong. This may or may not be a good idea depending on whether you want to argue over who sleeps on the couch.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Minnesota. Responses are based solely on Minnesota law unless stated otherwise.