16 yo possessing child porn

Pottstown, PA |

My son is going to be arrested for possessing child porn. It will be a juvenile felony charge(s). He did admit to having it, and it was found on his computer. He also touched a 6 yo girl inappropriately 2 years ago, which when we found out we went to the police. The detective said he will probably get probation, and not serve time. Should we get a lawyer?

It is important to have the assistance of a lawyer in a case like this, particularly in its early stages. The implications are too grave to go it alone. Good luck.

CHRISTOPHER BOKAS, ESQUIRE
610-352-7100
Christopherbokas@rcn.com

I strongly agree with my colleagues: get an attorney. Your son's sentencing decision does not lie with the detective, and his promises cannot bind the the DA or the judge.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Mr. Larkin's response makes such an important point: you cannot get your guidance or advice from the police dept. They do not have the best interests of you and your son in mind -- that is not their job or their responsibility.

Would you hire a mechanic if your car broke down on the side of the road?

Yes your son needs an attorney immediately! Unfortunately you cannot rely on the detectives statement that your son will get probation. Two things you should understand about law enforcement. First they are allowed to lie to get you or your son to cooperate. Second they often will lie just to get you to go along with what ever their plan is. They want to keep you calm so that you don't go hire an attorney and put a potential road block in their path of least resistance.

The district attorney in Montgomery County takes sex cases and child pornography cases very seriously. Given you son's purported past actions there is a high probability that Montgomery County Juvenile Probation will recommend and the DA will ask for a placement in a facility.

In over 24 years of handling criminal defense matters in Montgomery County I can say without hesitation that that the JPO juvenile probation officer is going to be the controlling factor in determining your son's disposition in the event of an adjudication of delinquency.

Additionally, of the many Computer sex crimes cases I have worked on I have always used a computer forensics expert to evaluate the computer evidence the number of mistakes and assumptions that the Commonwealth makes with computer examinations is not insignificant.

It is critical that you retain experienced criminal defense counsel who has worked with computer forensics experts and is familiar with these types of cases. I certainly understand the concern you have for both your son and the community as a whole but your son does need protection and representation at the very least to make sure what you are being told by law enforcement is accurate.

Adam D. Zucker, Esquire
Mudrick & Zucker, P.C.
Conshohocken, PA 19428

(610) 832-01400

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

It is vital that you speak to an attorney as soon as possible. I believe that you should have spoken with an attorney prior to making any statements to the police. The allegations are too serious to wait.

Michael L. Doyle, Esq
215 735-5900