Skip to main content

16, caught shoplifting at Walmart. Help? Clean criminal record.

Belle Plaine, MN |

I was caught shoplifting from walmart. ($166) I received a Civil Demand to pay Walmart $50 in addition to any criminal punishment. What would you advise me to do? What is the typical punishment for a first time offender?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First I would advise that you not post the civil demand, especially if all merchandise was recovered. Second, it will be in your best interest to attempt to resolve the case in a way which avoids a conviction in the record. Often the prosecution will offer what's called a continuance for dismissal. Essentially this means that after a year of not being in trouble (and probably not being allowed back to Wal-Mart), the prosecution will dismiss the case. It is a common resolution for first offenders.

I hope you find this information helpful. Best of luck to you.

Andrew Leone

Andrew M. Leone

Andrew M. Leone


Correction on the phone number.......612-356-2529.


A theft offense can be very serious. While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed.

Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution. A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain periofd of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.


CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


The most significant punishment is being labeled a criminal and a thief. That label can be difficult if not impossible to shake. Work with your lawyer to try to prevent an "adjudication" (conviction). If you can, there may be conditions attached - well worth complying with if you can keep your record clean. Apply for a public defender, or retain a private criminal lawyer.


Hello. You need to have attorney help. Your goal is to keep your record clean. You want to avoid any conviction. As a part of the resolution of your case, you likely will have certain specific conditions by which you are to abide for a term of time. Also, you ought not post details on a public website. Very important: You want to learn from what happened and not repeat the behavior in the future. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Minnesota licensed attorney - Tricia Dwyer, Esq.: Phone 612-296-9666. ADULT - JUVENILE CRIMINAL Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 - EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See