Skip to main content

10 year old's school calling child protective services if I don't drug her

Brooklyn, NY |

I had an argument with my 10 year old's teacher. My child is in the 5th grade. Her teacher says she can't focus and I need to put her on drugs (i.e. ritalin, adderall) and I said she won't take them and the teacher said to put the drugs in her soup but she is a picky eater and won't eat most foods. Next, the teacher said if I don't drug her, she will call child protective services telling them I am "medically neglecting" her and that they will take my child away. I told her she had ZERO right to do this and that my child will be in MY CUSTODY AND FREE FROM DRUGS. I am very upset and I need advice on what to do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there is no medical determination that child needs to take medication, I doubt that you can be forced to give it to her just because the teacher thinks it is needed.
IF there is a diagnosis the says child needs medication, suggest that you get a second opinion. There is arrguent that ADHD is over diagnosed and there are some bad side effects.
But I have doubts you could be in trouble if the mediction is merely to help with social interaction and is not needed to preserve her life.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.



If you are forced to do this, take her out of the system and use online school, MANY people do this for this very reason, my best wishes for you. I am so sorry, that is horrible btw.


You should consult with a special ed attorney who is familiar with child protective services issues or a false allegations of neglect attorney who is familiar with the special ed process. You do have rights as Attorney Hudson said. But I am not as confident as he appears to be that your local CPS agency would not start an investigation and put you through the wringer if this teacher oversteps and reports you to CPS while you are gathering your evidence to support your assertion that your child needs supports in school rather than medication.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer