1. How can you find out how much the land is worth before selling it so that you aren't tricked into selling it for less?

New York, NY |

We have property and land in South Carolina, but are unable to travel back and forth between there and New York. We have given a relative power of attorney because he is a real estate agent and lives close. Currently, there are some who wish to buy the land in order to build condominiums.

Have a real estate appraisal performed. This would be the best way to find out the value of your property.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. Thank you and good luck.

By having it appraised.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Get an appraisal and ask the agent for comparible sales.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I agree with the others, but want to suggest that it if you have given Power of Attorney to someone in whom you do not have the utmost trust and confidence, you ought to consider revoking that power.

The fact that you worry about being tricked by him concerns me.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists. I earn my living collecting points for "helpful" answers.