Skip to main content

(TAX) Does the IRS care if i send 10$K+ overseas from my non-business bank account or with western union (or any other way)

Santa Ana, CA |

I've always reported any transaction i made from my business account.
but what about the things i do with my personal money ? can i send someone more than 10K$ + without any trouble ? when i say trouble, is , i know it will probably be legal to do so, but i also don't want it to look bad to whoever is going through this info.
to prevent a situation like : "its not what you do its what they think you do"

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

There is an entire industry flourishing on international money transfer. The US is the leading country for international transfers. The industry is extremely lucrative and based on the fee and the arbitrage on the exchange rate.
Aside from the opening of a bank account overseas (for which there is a specific regulation to comply with), you may have several reasons to send money overseas. Paying a bill, making a gift, lending money are plausible and generally lawful. In any case, banks report your transaction. You have to (or maybe you have already) report(ed) your income regardless of your sending money overseas. However, if your intention is to transfer your assets little by little overseas.....that's a different story and of course I would suggest that this is a bad idea, not so smart to announce it here on this public forum, and pointless. Good luck.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


It's not just the IRS but the DOJ that takes notice of large transactions. They're looking for illegal money laundering too, so the bank will report any large transactions, regardless of what name is on account.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Counsel are both correct. It's not a good idea as Mr. Melchionna points out. Why not just do it legally and correctly. Banks are required to report large sums of money although they can also do it if it looks suspicious.

And if you're doing or planning something illegal, and I'm not saying that you are, don't post it on a public forum.

If you're serious about doing this right, spend the money and hire a lawyer.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.


As long as you are doing it "above the board" then you are doing everything you can. It can look strange to send 10k to a foreign country, but it is also very normal. If you aren't doing anything wrong, that is all you can be expected to do.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law
Tax Attorney
Tax Lawyer
Tax Lawyer Bellevue
Tax Lawyer Everett
Tax Lawyer Tukwila WA
Tax Lawyer Redmond WA
Everett IRS Contact Info
Seattle IRS Tax Problems Help
Bankruptcy Lawyer
Estate Planning Lawyer
IRS Appeals Attorney
IRS Installment Agreement
B&O Tax Audit
Sales Tax Audit
Seattle IRS Audit Reconsideration


Use a bank wire, it is a cheaper and you may find Western Union less than cooperative with larger wire transfers. I disagree with my collegues, the government does not really care as long as it is for a legitimate business purpose. There is an automatic report generated as with all transfers over $10,000, unless you are wiring it to Sudan or Yemen, it will scarcely attract attention. And do use a bank wire instead of Western Union which would involve withdrawing cash from your business account and paying a much hire rate for the wire and currency exchange rate.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society. International Law 24/7 hotline +1-202-318-2406 - Dr. Jonathan Levy, PhD calls or emails usually returned within 24 hours.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer