Skip to main content

?social security for widower and child? What are we eligable for?

Buffalo, NY |

I What and how much is my daughter eligable to?am 58 years old and work full time. My daughter is 14 years old. My wife passed away. Am i eligable to any social security benefits regardless of my income?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


My condolences on your loss. Social Security is an insurance program for which workers (and their employers) pay premiums through payroll taxes. Where a decedent has worked in the national economy and earned at least 40 "covered quarters" there will be survivor benefits for a minor child, the amount of which will be calculated on the basis of the decedent's work record. If, when you reach retirement age you are not married your own Social Security retirement will be compared to any benefit available on your deceased wife's account, and you will receive the greater of the two.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


Your daughter is likely entitled to survivors benefits under your late wife's work record. Now being a widower, you would be entitled to disabled widower's benefits IF you were disabled (which it does not appear you are since you state that you are working) I think the best option here would simply be applying for benefits for the child. Lots of people believe that there are benefits for the spouse which there are but really only under limited circumstances. Based on these facts, I would be contemplating retirement at 62 or later and knowing that your daughter may be entitled to some survivors benefits assuming that your late wife had earned SSA credits from employment.

I am sorry for your loss.

It is impossible to give specific answers to questions without meeting and fully discussing all of the potential issues that may not be addressed by your question. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information and are not legal advice. Only after a thorough personal consultation could specific legal advice be given. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. To enter such a relationship you and I would need to consult in person and form a mutually agreeable written contract of engagement. The answer(s) provided in this forum is intended to educate you and point to issues for you to raise in a consultation with a lawyer of your choosing who is appropriately competent in the field of law that your question concerns and who is duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you live and/or where the events giving rise to your question occurred. You should not take any action that might affect your claim(s) without first seeking the professional opinion of a licensed attorney. There are often strict deadlines for filing suit, responding to a suit or making an appeal and you need to personally consult with an attorney to make sure that you understand and meet those deadlines.